Did you know that essential nutrients are substances that bodies cannot produce in sufficient quantities (or at all) and must be given to the body through diet? This means that no matter how well you eat, you might still lack something in the nutrient area.
Nutrients are crucial to maintain optimal health and support your physiological and psychological functions. Read on to learn about macronutrients and micronutrients and why your body needs them!
- Carbohydrates are considered the primary and preferred energy source for bodies. They are broken down into glucose, which fuels the cells and supports all of the body’s functions.
- Proteins are essential for tissue growth, repair, and maintenance, including muscles, skin, and organs. They also play a role in enzymes, hormones, and other molecules- all essential to the body.
- Fats are crucial for energy storage, cell membrane structure, and the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K). Did you know they also play a role in hormone production?
- Organic compounds, like vitamins, are essential for metabolism, immune function, and overall health and well-being. There are water-soluble vitamins (e.g., B-complex vitamins, vitamin C), which means you can pee out the excess, and fat-soluble vitamins (e.g., vitamins A, D, E, and K), which are stored in your fat.
- Minerals are inorganic elements that are crucial for the body too. They are involved in everything from bone and brain health to fluid balance and enzyme activity. Some essential minerals that you shouldn’t go without include calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and sodium.
Why Does the Body Need All of This?
Get That Energy
Carbohydrates are the preferred energy source for bodies, but fat can also be used. Both are broken down during digestion and converted into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the molecule that provides energy for important cellular functions.
Grow, Repair, Protect
As protein is essential for repairing tissues, including muscles, skin, and organs, you must ensure you are getting enough of them to look after some of the most critical parts of your body. They are made up of amino acids.
Many vitamins and minerals are essential for properly functioning enzymes, which are critical for various chemical reactions that occur within the body and keep everything in good working order!
Immune System Support
Vitamins C and D, zinc, and iron play vital roles in supporting the immune system‘s function, helping the body defend against those pesky infections to dangerous diseases. You can find many of these vitamins and minerals in organic seamoss capsules!
Bone Health and Nervous System Support
Calcium and phosphorus are essential for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth. However, they also play a role in muscle function, nerve transmission, and electrolytes. Meanwhile, electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium are also important for maintaining proper nerve function and allowing the brain to pass on signals to nerves in the body.